Monday, January 25, 2010

Sixteen

Sixteen is tears on your

Pillowcase

It is staying up till Midnight

AIM-ing

Then complaining about it

Tomorrow.

It is Arguments

Upon arguments

With your parents

About things impossible to show


Sixteen is an unsatisfying

Stage

It is a song that you don’t know

The words to,

It is pretending you’re

Not looking around,

It is “Decisions, decisions,

Life’s about college,”

Even though you have

Two years to go


Sixteen is being stranded

On an island

No sign of familiarity

Anywhere to be found

It is finally being able to

Look around at

Knott’s Berry Farm

without being too depressed

That the whole world

Besides you

Is in twos


Sixteen is sitting in

A glass fishbowl

Deciding to sink or swim

It is not even remembering

To breathe before you

Drown

In thoughts of him


It is measured in weight, test grades

Even in love

It is wanting to date him

So badly

But though it’s condoned

You still don’t go for it

Afraid of the awkwardness

If your parents know


Sixteen is a deep desire

An urge

To just run straight to

Eighteen Looming ahead of you

But a pull that grounds you

Back in the world

Where that’s not gonna happen

Soon



Sixteen isn’t a Gossip Girl

Episode

It isn’t going to take your side

It doesn’t come with a

Rulebook or rules

So nothing is about

All you know

When you’ve rolled

The dice

And are deciding

Where to go


Sixteen is wanting

Nothing

To do with him

But when you

See him again

You just want him back

It is the beginning of

“I really don’t care,”

And you start to do

What you feel


Sixteen is choosing

The wrong path

Just to prove

That you were right

It is C’s on Bio tests

It’s not about you

It is getting over yourself

And learning to smile

Through the grimace

That has permanently

Settled on your eyebrows

And lips


Sixteen is wondering why

You said no

When you thought you wanted

Yes

It is finally figuring out

How to do your hair

So it doesn’t look hobo

But it doesn’t look overdone


Now I’m not saying

I’m an expert

At the game of life

I fail

But all I know is

When I’m fifty

I’m going to want

Sixteen back.

No comments:

Post a Comment