Monday, January 25, 2010

Reece: Titled (a poem upon my cousin's graduation from high school)

I remember you were

Out blasting

GI Joes in the backyard

Small mounds and ditches

In the soft

Fertilized dirt.

Tiny, plastic “walkie-talkies”

Sprawled across the green lawn

And were thrown to the

Bottom of the pool.

GI Joe:

Every Generation Needs a Hero

A Real American Hero

Written on boxes and

Yelled to the sky


Then the lieutenants were boxed up

And hidden.

And for your birthdays

You received light sabers

And Yoda figurines.

We were treated to viewings

Of The Phantom Menace

On vacation at the summer casa

In Mexico

And in the den of a past house.

“May the force be with you,”

You always told Annalese

And I sitting on the floor

Painting our nails

Not know what it meant or

Even caring


After that it was Lord of the Rings

I’m pretty sure at least

I remember the little figurines

And you painting

And collecting

And playing

And working so hard

To find some more warrior

Gnomes.

There were sleepovers out in the hall

“Ten o’clock isn’t that late,”

And games of Castle and

Guess Who with Madison.

Around this time

We took a trip to Las Vegas

(One of my favorite trips

even in my short history)

You taught me to do a climber’s knot

On the railing in our room

And how to pull my sleeve over my hand

So I never got shocked

By the heavy metal Parrot

Serving as a doorknob

To the Casino.

A limo ride down the strip

Madison dropping her ball of ice cream

And you picking it up,

Dusting the bottom off

And plopping the ice cream back

Onto her cone

Sending Annalese and I into hysterics

when she resumed eating

the Mint Chocolate Chip


Soon you were in your

Undefined stage

That didn’t come

Attached to a movie

Or show.

We would romp around in

The sprawling olive trees

In Grandma and Papap’s

Backyard

Looking generally crazy

In last year’s Batman costume

And the “Crocodile Dundee”

Skirt that belonged to the 80’s.

We went jumping into trees

Then jumping back out

Building forts then

Tearing them down

Premiering shows then running away laughing


Next it was computer games

The Sims and war games

Videos I wasn’t allowed to see.

That’s when you had braces

A full mouth of shiny metal

Leaving me envious every time

We brushed our teeth.

The best part about this phase?

Shipwreck Rapids rides and

Cotton candy covered hands

Walking the paths of Sea World

Begging for more

Candy and to stay

Just fifteen minutes longer.


The next thing I knew

You were well into being a

Teenager

A feat I had never thought possible

Looking at you

As my cousin

And my friend

You liked football and

Tough guys

That ran around a field chasing after

One poor guy

The one who was given the ball.

Then, great fruitcake

You were one of them!

Coming to Christmas lunch

With huge scars

And gashes in your legs

Baba always told you

“Roll out! You should just roll out!”

And to this day

I still don’t understand what he was

Saying.


For a while

I remember a possible surfboard

And you receiving money

To buy a big longboard

Just like the one at your camp.

I’m not sure if you ever

Went to buy the surfboard

But I’m sure you tried.

Remember our Yosemite

Camping trip?

Big Mamma Trucker to

Little Mamma Trucker

“Come in! Come in!

Do you copy?!”

We shouted into the walkie-talkies

Held in our toasty hands

Looking out at the frozen terrain



For right now

And maybe longer

You are a movie artist

Filming then editing

Trying to make things come together

Perfectly, and make a great scene.

And I’m as proud as I was

When you were a tough footballer

And a Jedi

And even a commando (although,

I received more than enough GI Joe

Limbs being blown into my face that I

Probably shouldn’t think that)

And as you leave

Eagerly ready to start the next

Stage of your life

I can only give you one thing

Okay well two things

My luck,

And your phrase back


Reece, May the force be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment