Friday, June 11, 2010

The Sea

Sometimes I feel like the sea

Could swallow me whole

Like my cries and wishes die upon its waves.

I’m afraid of its depths

Scared of things I can’t see

Pain I can’t stop


It makes me think of death:

Death in pointless or power trip wars

And crying real, ugly tears

And suicide without saying goodbye

And blood and guns and things that

That plague the darkness behind my blue eyes

As my feet step deeper and deeper

And I can’t see them anymore;

As my legs go numb,

And so does my heart.


The water rushes in

Leaves me to rush back out;

Swept it away, gave it back to me

Like a present I was lucky to have.

Hearts simply rising and falling with the tides.

Didn’t want to say hello,

To look at the shine on the waves

Or trust in fate

Cause all I could see was the falling tide.


Love, sweet love

That grew as empty as the dune neighborhood

Beyond the beach.

It's been bought out by the airport

Just a skeleton of what it used to be.

The silence is deafening

The pure desertion is sickening.


I don’t want to go to the beach anymore

See frayed shorts running down the sand

I don’t want to see the game I created

Thrust its finger in my face.


Deserted dune streets and LAX lights

A whole airport, a city

Shining fake, phony, empty stars

Onto my back.

But shining on the beach,

Shining in my eyes,

Trying to light up my heart

Is a sky of burning fire

And endless hope.

That’s where I really turn.

It's all that I need to be.

Simply looking down on

A fading scene of you, me and the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment